"From March to December 2003, the archive team of V2_Organisation (a center for culture and technology in Rotterdam, the Netherlands) has conducted research on the documentation aspects of the preservation of electronic art activities -- or Capturing Unstable Media --, an approach between archiving and preservation.
For this purpose, two major case studies were investigated in depth -- both are projects that were co-developed at V2_Lab, the interdisciplinary workspace of V2_Organisation. The case studies were
- whisper by Thecla Schiphorst and Susan Kozel, a project related to wearable technologies, performance and the body;
- DataCloud 2.0 and previous and later DataClouds; projects that involve web-based 2D or 3D visualizations of complex information structures.
Based on the findings from these case studies, a series of recommendations were formulated in the following areas:
- documentation strategies for electronic art activities;
- formal modeling and metadata;
- archival interoperability.
Furthermore, a number of technical realizations were implemented, including a public, web-based portal for V2_Archive and a new technical framework for the archive, based on XML and RDF technologies."